Amigos de las Americas (AMIGOS) is the leading organization in community service and youth leadership development across the Americas.
Our mission is to inspire and build young leaders through collaborative community development and immersion in cross-cultural experiences. Since 1965, more than 25,000 students have participated in our programs. We offer programs for high school and college students that last four weeks up to an academic year.
Volunteers live with local families and immerse themselves in the language and culture of their host communities, becoming partners in community development work. Alumni consistently describe the AMIGOS experience as pivotal to their education, career development and long-term commitment to global community service. Learn about what makes AMIGOS different.
What is the AMIGOS Summer Program?
AMIGOS began with the idea that young people will always rise to a challenge. Our Summer Programs offer cultural immersion and community collaboration experiences for high school and college-aged students.
- Recommended for ages 16 to 25
- Range in duration from four to nine weeks
- Specialized programs available for college-aged students
- Offer thorough training and oversight by the AMIGOS Health and Safety System
- Offer an independent experience, with the support of one or two volunteer partners in a community
- College Credit program option available
As an AMIGOS volunteer, you will focus on one or more of the areas crucial to community development and collaboration, and be part of changing the world for the better! Learn more about our 2015 Project Locations.
- Public Health
- Environmental Sustainability
- Youth Entrepreneurship
- Creative Expression
- Sports and Fitness
- Children’s Rights
What does a Summer Volunteer Do?
- Live in a small to medium sized community in a host family
- Improve your Spanish fluency through real cultural immersion
- Facilitate extra-curricular activities for children in your host community
- Work on and learn the process of implementing a community development project
- Engage in local trainings with other young leaders
- Transform the world and yourself!